Selected Scholarly Publications:
“Keywords for Ethnography & Design.” Edited Collection with Joseph D. Hakins and Melissa Caldwell. Theorizing the Contemporary, Cultural Anthropology website. March 2018.
“Good Ramps, Bad Ramps: Centralized Design Standards and Disability Access in Urban Russian Infrastructure.” American Ethnologist 44(1): January 9 2017.
“Disabling Structures: Perspectives on Marginalization in a Russian Cityscape,” Landscapes of Violence 3(1) 2015.
http://scholarworks.umass.edu/lov/vol3/iss1/4 *this is a photo essay that combines text and photographs, compiled as a large, image-based PDF file; please message me if you would like a text-based version of this publication with image descriptions.
“Welcome to Sergeichburg: Disability, Crip Performance, and the Comedy of Recognition in Russia” in Journal of Social Policy Studies 12(1) 2014. In English and Russian translation.
Liminality in Love: Reading Ritualized Institutional Practice as Civil Society in Alina Rudnitskaya’s Civil Status
Anthropology of East Europe Review, 29:2, 2011
Public & Digital Scholarship:
- Contributions to the Critical Design Lab blog, including a consideration of Criptic Innovation, about wheelchairs that climb stairs, and an overview of the relationship between critical ethnography and design thinking
- Review of Russian artist-journalist Victoria Lomasko’s first collection in English, OTHER RUSSIAS (n+1), for Culture Trip
- Quirky Soviet science on the Russia! Magazine blog
- What are we doing when we say Putin has Asperger’s?
- Articles about literature as ethnography, Robert Spitzer, the appointment of Jim Yong Kim to the World Bank, and Dominique Strauss Kahn on Somatosphere
- A popular audience discussion of disability and Waldorf-influenced education in Siberia in the Journal of the Research Institute for Waldorf Education.
- An example of my professional writing for web audiences can be found on the UC Collaboratory for Ethnographic Design website.